Afreximbank: Assistant Manager, Banking Operations (Business Risk Controls) – Cairo, Egypt
CA Global Headhunters has been retained by the Afreximbank based in Cairo, Egypt to recruit for this position. For more information on the Afreximbank please visit their website www.afreximbank.com. Should you meet the minimum requirements and wish to apply for the position please apply directly to CA Global Headhunters.
Nature & scope:
The role of the position holder will be to support the Director, Banking Operations and the Unit Heads (i.e. Loan Administration, Trade Services, Payment Services and Business Support) within the Banking Operations (BAOP) department with their ownership of risks and controls as the first line of defense (FLOD) to Operational Risk. The jobholder will identify Operational Risk trends, areas and processes with inadequate control measures within BAOP and propose remedial actions to Departmental management. The role holder also participates in Risk Management projects to reduce risk exposures, improve the control environment and minimize errors and loss events. They lead internal control testing efforts as required.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Risk Control Assessments and key risk indicators:
- Obtaining a detailed understanding of the Payment Services, Trade Services, and Loan Administration units in order to design effective controls
- Assist BAOP unit managers in completing Risk Control Assessments (RCA). This will include (a) analysis of existing processes to determine the design as well as operating effectiveness of controls and (b) evaluation of internal/external operational events to quantify the financial, reputational & regulatory impact of failed controls.
- Leading and facilitating Risk and Control Assessments (RCAs) refresh workshops, in order to support functions, manage their key risks.
- Ensure the report from RCSA workshops/ reviews are updated and submitted inline within stipulated timelines and in accordance with advised guidelines
- Ensure department submits its monthly/periodic Key Risk Indicators within the stipulated timelines i.e. Collect related data, determine Key Risk Indicators, their related thresholds and provide a monthly KRIs score as well as propose attendant action plans.
- Control Monitoring:
- Development or enhancement of monitoring tools to evaluate the operating effectiveness of the key controls in the department. Monitoring will include reviewing key indicators, sample testing and conducting thematic reviews.
- Challenging BAOP staff when good business risk management is not evident e.g. poor Risk & Control Assessments, slow resolution of outstanding issues. Escalate where necessary
- Independently ensure that key reconciliation activities are performed by all units in BAOP on a monthly basis and escalate material exceptions to Line Manager and Head of Department.
- Independently review using a risk based approach material transactions processed in BAOP, to ensure that they have been appropriately executed and material exceptions are reported to the relevant officer, line managers and Head of Department
- Ensure that operational risk incidents occurring within BAOP are reported to the head of department and operational risk unit once discovered.
- Ensure approvals for write-off for operational risk related losses and coordinate related engagements with principal parties i.e. Finance and Operational Risk units in line with the Operational Risk Loss Reporting Process (ORLP)
- Gaps/Issues: Immediately escalate any identified gaps or issues that could lead to future Operational Risk Events to line Manager/Head of department for further communication to Operational Risk Unit.
- Action plans: Provide effective action plans to identified issues and follow-up on the action plans for open issues across the different Operational Risk Tools to ensure full implementation/ finalization
- Data Breach Management/ Protection of Information Assets (Confidential Business Information) Management: Identify and complete the tasks that are required to be completed under the Protection of Information Asset (PIA) project to Operational Risk Unit on a monthly basis.
- Facilitation of Control Testing and Audit Activities
- Work with designated officers as appointed by departmental head to coordinate all audit and control testing reviews for BAOP.
- Ensure all audit and control testing requests are collated from relevant units in BAOP, reviewed and promptly provided to reviewing officers
- Undertake first level review and coordinate evidence gathering to ensure that potential findings are resolved with review officers
- Work with Unit Heads to ensure that all findings from Control Testing and Internal Audit reviews are closed within agreed timelines
- Provide monthly updates to RIMA and Internal Audit on the status of key Internal Audit and Control Testing related action plans
- Relationship Management and Reporting:
- Managing relationships with key contacts and stakeholders. These are likely to include but not limited to Internal Audit, Operational Risk Management, and other Functional Heads.
- Preparation of monthly reports on business defined key risk indicators (KRI‘s) and other reports that need to be sent to the relevant stakeholders across the Bank.
- Effective use of Operational Risk Tools (i.e. Ambit, etc)
Skills, Knowledge and Attitude:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Banking or Finance from a recognized University plus a post graduate degree in a relevant field or a professional qualification in the Banking backed up by appropriate Banking experience;
- Proven experience of at least 5 years with a reputable banking organization in audit or operational risk management. Experience in credit administration, trade finance processes and back office operation will be a positive differentiator. The candidate must demonstrate experience and knowledge of operating in a fairly complex banking environment with proven knowledge and understanding of best market practice in banking operations management;
- Ability to communicate and function in a culturally diverse and change oriented setting with good knowledge of banking practices in Africa;
- Ability to interact with senior officials of banks, corporates and governments;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. Knowledge of the Bank’s other working languages is an added advantage (French, Arabic and Portuguese);
Benefits and Contractual information:
• Permanent. • Willing and able to relocate to Cairo, Egypt. • Suitably qualified candidates from all African nationalities are encouraged to apply.
If you wish to apply for the position, please send your CV to Shearidan Rabsch at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please visit www.caglobalint.com for more exciting opportunities.
CA Global will respond to short-listed candidates only. If you have not had any response in two weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful however your CV will be kept on our database for any other suitable positions.